I have a special place in my heart for A.I.R.Ã‚Â Before IheartPGH.com was a .com, IheartPGH was a t-shirt that my friend and I printed on a very basic screenprinting set-up in my basement.Ã‚Â This screenprinting set-up was far from easy or professional.Ã‚Â Screens were burned with a lightbulb under a pie pan.Ã‚Â In 2005, a friend introduced me to A.I.R and my understanding of screen printing changed for the better.
A.I.R. = Artist Images Resource and is one of the hidden gems of Pittsburgh.
AIR is an artist-run organization that integrates the production of fine art printwork with innovative educational programs that explore the creative process. AIR provides print and imaging services to professional artists and educators. Our goal is to maintain an active and vital imaging laboratory that supports artists and facilitates
Even better, A.I.R. hosts open studio nights so that beginning screenprinters like me can print with ease and move far beyond the world of dark basements and lightblubs with lightbulbs hanging from pie pans.
This saturday is A.I.R’s 6th annual Benefit. I have included the details below but here are my top reasons to attend this event:
- AIR is an awesome building, filled with great prints and interesting equipment that you can use
- Beer from East End Brewery
- Jazzercise Troop Radical Pittsburgh – I met these guys at the I Made It craft fair, I am happy to support anyone that is bringing Jazzercise back
- The Mobile MuseumÃ‚Â – is a little museum of art that travels around on the back of a bike
Saturday, October 13, Noon-Midnight
AIR – 518 Foreland Street, Northside
$10 – admission, food and drinks
Artists Image Resource’s 6th Annual Benefit
- hands on printmaking activities
- performances, live music, films
- food (local restaurants best & outdoor grilling)
- drink (a variety of East End’s brews on tap)
- chance to win your favorite artists framed work!
- Posters from the “Yinz Got Poster Show”
- The Mobile Museum will also be on view from 6pm on.
Jessica Fenlon will present a 3 hour reel of local video artists work as well as ‘Diver, Diver’ an on-site video installation.
Photo – I took this picture at the Craft Congress event at AIR in March 2007.