Have you every wanted to try welding? Maybe you have always wanted to learn to build your own furniture or learn to use a 3D printer. If you are a woman in the Pittsburgh area, this is a great opportunity for you to try these classes for free.
International Women’s Day celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievement of women. TechShop is celebrating International Women’s Day by offering FREE classes to all women on Tuesday, March 8th.
TechShop is a maker space located in Bakery Square. What’s a maker space you ask? I happen to work at TechShop and while I might not be qualified to use all of the equipment in the shop, I am more than qualified to tell you about all of the things you can do and make at TechShop.
Think of TechShop kind of like a gym or fitness center, instead of treadmills, free weights and an akward area where people are supposed to do situps, TechShop has all kinds of equipment that members can use for making things. Everything from laser cutting machines, to welding, to a woodshop, as well as a large area that is not-so-awkward where everyone can work on projects.
Once you are TechShop member, and you have passed the SBU class (SBU is TechShop speak for safety and basic use), you can come in to use that piece of equipment whenever you want. The SBU classes cost between $50 and $150, so this is not only a great chance to learn a new skill but also to check an SBU off your TechShop bucket list.
Free Classes for Women on March 8 @ TechShop Pittsburgh
Here is the schedule of classes for Tuesday, March 8. You MUST call the front desk (412) 345-7182 or come into the shop to register. The front desk is open from 8:30am to 10pm. The shop is open to members from 8am to 1am.
- 10:00 am – Woodworking // Woodshop SBU
- 10:00 am – Welding // MIG Welder SBU
- 1:00 pm – Furniture Basics [Pre-requisite Woodshop SBU]
- 1:00 pm – Sand Blasting & Powder Coating SBU
- 2:00 pm – Textiles // CNC Embroiderer SBU
- 4:30 pm – Basic Metal Shop SBU // Make a Metal Bottle Opener
- 5:00 pm – Welding // TIG Welding SBU
- 5:00 pm – 3d Printing // Printerbot SBU
- 5:30 pm – Laser Cutting // Trotec Laser SBU
- 6:00 pm – Metal // Ironworker SBU
- 6:00 pm – Circuits & Stuff // Electronic Instruments
- 7:00 pm – Woodworking // Shopbot SBU
- 7:00 pm – Blacksmithing Basics // Leaf Wall Hook
Interested in learning more about TechShop?
- Everyone is welcome to stop by the shop for a tour. Click here to sign up.
- Friday, March 4 – TechShop Happy Hour from 5pm-8pm. Tickets are $10, or you can enter to win 2 ticket here.
Some related reading on entrepreneurship & makers…
- Cities Can Help to Shape an Equal Opportunity Maker Movement (nextcity.org)
- ‘The Looming Entrepreneurial Boom’: Kauffman Weighs In (theatlantic.com)
- Entrepreneurs Take On Manufacturing (hbr.org)