Books. Books about Pittsburgh. Books by Pittsburgh authors. But books in general are probably the best gifts to give. I am hold out on the Kindle. I am surrounded by computers, phones, TV screens, treadmill screens (ok, the treadmill screens are few and far between). I still like to buy, read and give real paper books. Please add your suggestions for Pittsburgh reading in the comments below. I would love to add some more local books to the 24 Gifts of Pittsburgh.
Raymond Carver Will Not Raise Our Children is one of those books that has been on my radar. I have seen this book for sale at East End Book Exchange. I knew I wanted to feature a book for today’s Gift of Pittsburgh, so I could also have an excuse to remind you that Sunday is the 3rd Annual Small Press Pittsburgh Holiday Book Sale. Littsburgh, one of Pittsburgh’s newest blogs about all things literary, has a great preview of the Holiday Book Sale here. Raymond Carver Will Not Raise Our Children is one of the recommended books on the list. This afternoon while I was browsing the New Guild Studio Holiday Open House another friend mentioned the author Dave Newman. (I am only mentioning this because this was my first visit to New Guild and it is an incredible hidden gem. New Guild does iconography for churches across the country.)
Shop: Your Favorite Local Book Store or Amazon.
More about Raymond Carver Will Not Raise Our Children
In the words of Reading Rainbow’s LeVar Burton, “you don’t have to take my word for it.” Here is what some others have said about Dave Newman’s book:
- With pointed humor, Dave Newman’s new novel portrays the life of a lowly college writing instructor. // Pittsburgh City Paper
- ‘Raymond Carver Will Not Raise Our Children’: A Pittsburgh writing teacher’s tender tale // Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Dave Newman’s Raymond Carver // Tears in the Fence
- Writer on Writer: Part Two, Alex Kudera Interviews Dave Newman // Karen The Small Press Librarian
Small Press Pittsburgh Holiday Book Sale
Sunday, December 6, 2015
Stephen Foster Community Center
268 Main Street, Lawrenceville
24 Gifts of Pittsburgh
Each day in December we are sharing a different Pittsburgh gift suggestion.
- Pretzel Hug Pillow
- Pineapple Plate With A Purpose
- Spalted Maple Kerf Case
- Fair Trade Coffee from Building New Hope