A few weeks ago we posted about the website GrubWithUs and the first Pittsburgh GrubWithUs meal – see our original post here. The event was a great success. Check out some of the feedback and learn about upcoming meals.
Sewing Tour 2012 is project that came up on Kickstarter. We have posted some Kickstarter projects here before – Kickstarter is a website that lets your croudsource funding for projects and businesses.
I am sharing this project because it has a really nice little video and I think it is a neat little project. While I don’t do much of it myself, I like sewing and quilting and I like to think that quilts – which were used to tell stories are sort of a precursor to the modern day blog.
Paul Nosa is an artist who creates drawings with a sewing machine. He powers the sewing machine with solar power. He is trying to raise money to take his solar powered sewing machine on a cross country tour this summer. One of the stops is already planned for Pittsburgh.
Here is one of the patches he created with his sewing machine titled Bicycle Over City
Check out his video and maybe lend some support to his tour.
Well, the snow has finally arrived in Pittsburgh! Here is a round up of the events we shared on the DVE morning show today. And don’t forget the Snow Shovel Riding Championships we talked about last week were rescheduled for Sat. Jan 21.
- Friday, January 20, 2012, 8pm @ The Byham
- Saturday, January 21, 2012 @Consol Energy Center
- Free admission and parking
- First game starts at 2pm
- Corportate hockey teams will compete to raise money for Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation and the United Way
- 21st Annual Festival
- Sat & Sun @ the Ligonier Diamond
- Food, kids activities, sidewalks sales and more
- 6 carvers will create, 40+ sculptures
- Lots of great deals on meals in Pittsburgh
- Specials include tasting menus for $20-$30/person
- now featuring pie on Friday and Saturday Nights
- Waffle Brunch on Sat and Sun mornings
- Project is an actual waffle shop run by Carnegie Mellon students at the corner of Baum and Highland in East Liberty
- Sunday, January 22, 2012
- 6-8pm @ tHe Brew House
- $10 gets you a bowl of soup, some bread and a ballot
- The audience votes for their favorite project and the winning project receives the funds collected at the door from that evening.
- Facebook Event – http://www.facebook.com/events/345127508832468/
The laurel highlands is not just pretty in the fall. If skiing and snowboarding aren’t your thing – maybe ice sculptures is up your alley. Head to downtown Ligonier this weekend for the 21st Annual Ice Fest on Saturday and Sunday.
DiMartino Ice Co. of Jeannette will have 6 carvers on hand and there will be more than 40 sculptures on display throughout the weekend.
The fire department is hosting a spaghetti dinner and local businesses will have indoor sidewalk sales.
Read more about the weekends activities here.
21st Annual Ligonier Ice Festival
Ligonier, PA – Around the Diamond, East and West Main streets, North and South Market streets.
Saturday and Sunday. January 21-22, 2012
Information: (724) 238-4200.
- Ice sculptors kick off London festival (independent.co.uk)
- VIDEO: Ice sculpture made from river water (bbc.co.uk)
- Snow & Ice Sculpture Gardens in Frankenmuth, Michigan (travelwithjp.wordpress.com)
- The Ice Hotel (scramblerworld.wordpress.com)
And its for a good cause too! Hockey tickets are A) hard to get and B) expensive. So this is a pretty cool event where you can watch hockey at Consol Enegy Center for free.
Saturday, January 21 is a Corporate Hockey (Day and) Night in Pittsburgh. Corporate hockey teams will be competing in a tournament to raise money for the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation and United Way. Donations can also be accepted at: https://www.formstack.com/forms/?1151244-Rbed2tOEJf
Hockey games will be played from 2pm until 10:30pm
Heritage Valley Health System v McGuireWoods – 2:00-2:50 p.m.
McGuireWoods v BladeRunners – 3:05-3:55 p.m.
BladeRunners v Heritage Valley Health System – 4:10-5:00 p.m.
Gold Championship Game – 5:15-6:05 p.m.
Reed Smith v Federated – 6:20-7:10 p.m.
Federated v PNC – 7:25-8:15 p.m.
PNC v Reed Smith – 8:30-9:20 p.m.
Black Championship Game – 9:35-10:25 p.m.
Penguins Corporate Charity Cup
CONSOL Energy Center
Saturday, January 21, 2012 2pm
Free Admission & Free Parking in the in the East arena lot, just above Lemieux Place off Center Avenue