Arbor Aid is an annual fundraiser for Tree Pittsburgh, an environmental non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the City’s vitality by restoring and protecting City trees. This fundraiser has grown over the years into one of Fall’s more fun and unqiue events. Art made from salvaged wood is exhibited, food and drink is plentiful, and entertainment this year is provided by Pairdown, and the Armadillos. And the folks at Tree Pittsburgh know that to make it a true Pittsburgh celebration you need to include an epic Cookie Table … and a Hug a Tree Photo Booth. So strap on your dancing shoes and head over to Guardian Storage Solutions this Friday, October 28th at 9pm.
For those of you looking for a way to celebrate Halloween while getting some exercise – think of it as canceling out the candy – or you really love bicycles and beer – this is the event for you. Its time for the annual Reverse Keg Ride.
What is a Reverse Keg Ride?
A few years ago, End End Brewing decided that the best way to get the first keg of Pedal Pale Ale to the bar was by bike. And thus the keg ride was born. And each year a few more people decided to come along for the ride. This spring over 400 people joined the ride to deliver the first keg AND raise money for some local charities.
Since the keg rides have been so popular, in 2009 it was decided that the way to end the pedaling season was with a reverse keg ride back to the brewery – another chance to raise some money, drink some beer and take a bike ride through Pittsburgh with a few hundred people.
Keg Ride, but its Halloween Weekend?
Yes, it is! So the bicycle beer loving folks are holding a costumer contest – and it is a good one. Prizes will be awarded for Best Beer-themed Costume, Best Pittsburgh-themed Costume and Best Overall Costume,
How does this work?
Well, talk about another great example of a Pittsburgh collaboration. East End Brewing is working with the folks at Venture Outdoors to make sure this is a well organized and safe event. East End Brewing knows beer. And Venture Outdoors are experts in organizing large groups of people to do fun things outside.
Reverse Keg Ride Details
- Saturday, October 29th. Rain or shine.
- Breakfast and Check-in at 9:00am
- Depart at 10:00, arrive at 11:00-11:30am
- Cost: $15 for pre-registration (on-line), $20 for Day-of-ride registration. This is a charitable contribution that goes to support “Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders” (aka ABOARD), a non-profit agency, providing a lifeline of support for families and individuals with autism.
- What you get: a continental breakfast, morning coffee, a fun day of riding your bike in a big group… and this year’s very first SNOW MELT WINTER ALE fresh from the brewery.
- Get all the details and warnings about hills here. Ready to register – you can do that here.
some more beer reading…
- The Best Beer to Enjoy at Every MLB Ballpark (bleacherreport.com)
- More beer-related news (pittsburgh.metblogs.com)
- Two brewers battle for rights to historic Pittsburgh beer label (philly.com)
One of the questions we are often asked is “is there anything fun to do for 4th of July/Labor Day/Halloween/President’s Day in Pittsburgh?” Well, we may never have a good answer for how to celebrate President’s Day but we do have some answers for Halloween. This year there are a TON of great ways to celebrate Halloween.
The fun loving folks from Mad Mex are putting together a big bad Halloween party for Monday, October 31st – at the new, super large and super great Mad Mex Location in Shadyside. $20 gets you in the door and includes snacks a plenty. Costume contests, DJ and drink specials.
ATTENTION pumpkin beer lovers – they are saving a keg of Pumking for the party!
Tickets are limited and we’re pretty sure this will sell out ASAP – stop by the Shadyside Mad Mex to purchase tickets.
Mad Mansion Party
@ Mad Mex Shadyside, Highland Ave
Monday, October 31, 2011
$20 per person
Yes, its true the Carneige Science Center has a laser show set to Lady Gaga, appropriately named Laser Gaga. In honor of Halloween and all things lady Gaga – the Science Center is hosting a Laser Gaga Costume Contest – put on your best poker face and head down to the science center – there will be prizes for the best costumes.
Please note the fine print on this one – sorry folks – don’t wear meat to the science center:
- While we encourage your costumes to be creative, they must be appropriate for a family-friendly establishment.
- Costumes must NOT feature organic materials such as raw meat, anything alive, expose skin in a provocative manner, or use offensive language or graphics.
- Any masks worn should not cover the entire face.
- Carnegie Science Center has the right to refuse any costume that it deems inappropriate.
Laser Gaga Costume Contest
@The Carnegie Science Center
Saturday, October 29, 2011
10 pm – Laser Show
to enter contest you must arrive 45 minutes before the laser show
Cost: $2 members, $8 non-members
Looking for some more Halloween fun – you might enjoy this video of Halloween decorations set to LMFAO’s Party Rock Anthem. (If you are reading the email version of the post, click here to see the video)
More Gaga Links…
- Whew! There ARE #LadyGaga costumes for dogs! Look no further! (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- How To Dress Like Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake & Andy Samberg From SNL’s ’3-Way’ Skit For Halloween (fresh1027.radio.com)
- 10 Halloween Costumes to Avoid (gawker.com)
Jim Krenn RAW is a video podcast by Jim Krenn. In this video series is a kind of behind the scenes look at what happens in Pittsburgh when Jim isn’t on the radio. If you are new to Pittsburgh – these videos are a great way to learn about some of the things that are staples here in Pittsburgh. Start with this episode on the Primanti Brother’s sandwich. Just in time for Halloween Jim Krenn checks out one of the Haunted Pittsburgh Tours.
Sean Collier has been running Haunted Pittsburgh Tours since 2008. Tours run April through October each year. You can read more about Haunted Tours in the Post-Gazette here.
This is the last week for the Haunted Tours for the 2011 season. Tours are almost sold out! you can buy tickets for the Haunted Pittsburgh Tours online here. As on Monday am there is still space left on the following tours:
- Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2011 @ 7pm – Haunted Oakland Tour
- Thursday, Oct. 26, 2011 @ 7pm – Station Sq./Mt. Washington Tour
- Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 @ 7pm – Station Sq./Mt. Washington Tour
- Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 @ 7:30pm – Ghost Ride
- Saturday, Oct. 29 2011@ 7pm – Station Sq./Mt. Washington Tour
- Saturday, Oct. 29 2011 @ 7:30pm – Ghost Ride
- Saturday, Oct. 29 2011@ 9pm – Station Sq./Mt. Washington Tour
- Sunday, Oct. 30 @ 6pm – Haunted Oakland Walking Tour
We have tours in Oakland on Wednesday at 7:00 pm and Sunday at 6 pm; our Ghost Ride launches Friday and Saturday nights at 7:30; our Station Square/Mt. Washington tour runs Thursday at 7 pm, Friday at 7 pm, and Saturday at 7 pm and 9 pm.