I just returned home after a visit to the Carnegie Museum of Art for the Culture Club. As much as I love blogging about museums here in Pittsburgh – I had not been to the Carnegie in at least a year. It was great to see the new exhibit – Biennial. And another great thing about tonight’s Culture Club – is that the museum was open for free.
Pittsburgh has great cultural ammenities like museums – and thankfully they are open to everyone for free for different events through out the year.
Which brings me to the Mattress Factory. Another amazing cultural amenity is the Mattress Factory which is a contemporary art museum on the northside. Each year the Mattress Factory hosts an annual fundraiser called the Urban Garden Party – which is rumored to be one of the best fundraisers in town. More on that below.
But in addition to a fancy fundraiser, the MattressFactory always opens the museum to the public for a free community day too – The Community Garden Party. A free day, filled with extra fun activities for kids of all ages.
I stumbled upon the Community Garden Party a few years ago (maybe more than a few years ago because I think it was before I had started IheartPGH). We has a lovely afternoon enjoying the museum and I came across one of my favorite art pieces at the museum – “Bob-ettes Feast” by Bob Sendell – you can see photos of the feast here.
The line up for the 2011 Community Garden Party:
- Sunday, June 19, 2011 Noon-5
- Art making activites
- Steel Drum performances from local steel drum masters North Side Urban Pathways Sounds of Steel
- Evolve Productions will be dancing up a storm
The details on the 2011 Urban Garden Party:
- Friday, June 17, 2011 7pm-11pm
- Theme – From Hollywood to Paradise
- Tickets are $90 ($200 for VIP) – available online here
- headlining music performers — AndrewAndrew! ( iPad DJ duo from New York City) and Pittsburgh’s own Dr. Zoot.
Here is a little trailer for the party with photos from last years event
Read more about the party on the Mattress Factory blog here.