Image via Wikipedia
I really want to highlight this event for this weekend – I am going to try to stop by on Friday or Satruday evening. I met the founder of the Unsmoke Artspace a few years ago and I have really enjoyed seeing his dedication to Braddock and the region. Braddock Light is an exhibit that will include artists from the University of Wisconsin and other locations – all who work with light as an artistic medium. I have attended a variety of events in Braddock over the past few years and each time has provided an opportunity to see interesting works of art, the architecture of Braddock and meet some interesting people. Here is a picture from a light installation in Braddock in 2006.
Who: over 35 light and video artists from the University of Wisconsin – Madison,
Pratt MWP and the Pittsburgh area.
When: dusk till midnight, Friday April 24 and Saturday April 25
Where: Unsmoke Systems Artspace, 1137 Braddock Ave, Braddock PA, 15104
Braddock, PA – Join us for the 2009 light art exhibition hosted by Unsmoke
Systems. The two day event is a unique and exciting art event that exhibits
works of art from artists around the region For the past 20 years, the University
of Wisconsin-Madison has been hosting national exhibits for artists who use
light as a medium. This year they have decided to take it on the road, to Braddock and
come and transform Unsmoke Systems. This event is presented by the University
of Wisconsin – Madison Art/Glass Dept. and Unsmoke Systems.
Some other blogs that have posted about Braddock Light: Oranje, Pittsburgh Art and Gallery Info, Graduate Contextual Practice – (I am not sure exactly what this blog is about but I love the blog design and there are some great pictures posted here too) and the Pittsburgh discussion group on Flickr.
Some other blog coverage of Braddock:
- This American Dream looks at Braddock going Greeen
- Rust Wire has a nice summary of some recent press on Braddock – Rust Wire is doing a great job blogging about the Great Lakes “rust belt” cities – I had a change to catch up with these bloggers at the last month in Milwaukee – check out their blog for more great info.
Even more blog coverage of Braddock, Pa:
- Revitalizing A Rusty Old Town (cbsnews.com)
- Rebuilding America’s Ghost Towns (oxdown.firedoglake.com)
- Steel town trying to rebound from bottom (cnn.com)
- a view of a grim economic future: Braddock (bripblap.com)
- Braddock’s March on Fort Duquesne 1755 (colonial-america.suite101.com)
- Urban Revitalization Continues Amid Recession (streetsblog.org)