I have recieved alot of great info from some enthusiastic soccer fans who are working on putting together a new women’s soccer league in western PA. The Women’s Greater Pittsburgh Soccer league has already been featured in the Post-Gazette – click here to see the article. Keep reading for all of the details on the league.
PA West – WGPSL (Women’s Greater Pittsburgh Soccer League)
Over 23 Division
As you can see we have lowered the age to Over 23… In the near future we hope to grow the WGPSL to include Open, O-23, O-30, & eventually O-40 (Did you know there are some cities that even have O-60 Women’s leagues?) By lowering the age to 23 we don’t lose the recent college graduates that may otherwise fall away from soccer.Although many things are not concrete, this is what we can tell you so far:
1) Location: tentatively Reis Run Fields (located off both 279-Camp Horne & 79-Mt Nebo) for directions go to www.pawest-soccer.org/mapreisrun.html or go to www.mapquest.com under destination enter: 400 Reis Run Road Pittsburgh, PA 15237 (mapquest provides est. travel times!)
2) Game Times: 6:15 pm & 7:30 pm – Two WEEKNIGHTS (your team will play once a week tentatively Tues or Thurs )
3) Structure: 7 v 7 (teams should have at most 15 players) ; 1 hour games
4) Cost: between $75- $90 (includes $30 PAWest player fee, costs for fields, referees, balls, t-shirt, first aid kit, etc…) We will try our best to keep costs low.
5) Registration: End of March ***details to follow*** (We will be accepting Individuals & Teams.)
6) Individual: If you are an Individual we will place you on a team preferably with others who live in your area. If, however, you would like to reconnect with former teammates, we are asking for your maiden name and a list of your prior teams.
7) Team: If you already have a team, your team needs to designated a TEAM MANAGER. Team Managers please contact us with your name and a list of your players (names, ages, experience, position ) ****We will be accepting partial teams with 4 or more players*** If you have less than 4 players, please register as an individual & indicate the players you would like to be teamed with
8) Sponsors: We are looking at accepting sponsors…If you have any leads please let us know !!
We are very excited for the upcoming season and the future of this league. This is only the beginning for Women’s Soccer in Pittsburgh !!! Without the hard work and eagerness of all of you this league would not have come together. THANK YOU!!
Jen and Maura